Saturday, July 12, 2008

Batman 678 (August 2008)

Wow. Morrison hits another home run with this issue.

RECAP

From the beginning with Robin reading Batman's Black Casebook, to Bruce Wayne's odyssey, to the final page featuring the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, this was another classic by Grant Morrison. Just the amount of territory covered in this issue is amazing.

The Bat-Radia is turned on.

Robin Dies at Dawn.

The original Batwoman.

The Club of Villains.

Robin reading the Casebook.

Zur-en-arrh.

Bruce's odyssey.

Crime Alley.

The Black Glove's trap for Nightwing(I don't know how he will get out of this without help).

Thomas Wayne's Batman costume.

The return of Honor Jackson.

R.I.P. has certainly kept me on the edge of my seat. I can not wait for the next installment featuring the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh, Robin vs. Damian, and the Joker.

REVIEW

Some fans love Grant Morrison and others hate him. I fall in with the group that thinks he is one of the most innovative writers in comics today(possibly ever). To date, Batman R.I.P. is his masterpiece. Grant is pulling together threads from his first Batman stories, 52, and tries to show that all of the Batman stories happened to the current Batman. If you are a fan who wants to see Batman swing into action, this issue will be a disappointment. The focus on this issue is Bruce Wayne's odyssey. I thought it was great as part of the overall storyline. Grant has me counting the days until the next chapter is published.

Tony Daniel(inked by Sandu Florea) has taken his art to the next level. I do not know if his art has naturally progressed to this point or if working with Grant has inspired him. All I know is that Tony is doing a great job on this book. His art has become the perfect compliment to Grant's scripts.

Highest recommendation possible.

No comments: